Friday, December 22, 2017

Dashing Through the Snow by Debbie Macomber



Ashley Davison, a graduate student in California, desperately wants to spend the holidays with her family in Seattle. Dashiell Sutherland, a former army intelligence officer, has a job interview in Seattle and must arrive by December 23. Though frantic to book a last-minute flight out of San Francisco, both are out of luck: Every flight is full, and there’s only one rental car available. Ashley and Dash reluctantly decide to share the car, but neither anticipates the wild ride ahead.
 
At first, they drive in silence, but forced into close quarters Ashley and Dash can’t help but open up. Not only do they find they have a lot in common, but there’s even a spark of romance in the air. Their feelings catch them off guard never before has either been so excited about a first meeting. But the two are in for more twists and turns along the way as they rescue a lost puppy, run into petty thieves, and even get caught up in a case of mistaken identity. Though Ashley and Dash may never reach Seattle in time for Christmas, the season is still full of surprises and their greatest wishes may yet come true.

Rating: 4 Cups

Challenges Read For: Blogger Shame -

Total blogger shame on this one. It arrived last year and I didn’t have time to pick it up so it was the first on the pile of reads for the HoHoHo Readathon.
 
So, I broke my own reader-rule, I watched the Hallmark movie (which happens to be one of my favorites) before reading the book. I thought I knew what to expect with the book but I was so wrong. I couldn’t believe how much different the movie version was.
 
Here’s what’s going on in the book. Unable to get a plane ticket, Ashley finds herself sharing the last rental car with Dash, a handsome yet surly stranger. As they journey to Seattle—picking up a furry friend along the way—they find themselves growing closer. As their trip comes to an end, they soon realize a case of mistaken identity has landed Ashley on the terrorist watch list.
 
In the movie, it’s the same premise but rather than Dash needing to get to Seattle for a job interview, he’s an undercover agent trying to figure out Ashley’s agenda.
 
Both the book and the movie are fantastic but there were certain parts of each that I liked better than the other.
 
In the book, I really enjoyed Dash. He was gruff, broody, surly, and totally drool-worthy. In the movie, he’s a bit softer, more pleasant, and totally Hallmarky. Book Dash was more my speed. While I liked book-Dash more, movie Ashley was so much better. Both book and movie Ashley had Christmas spirit in droves, but movie Ashley was this artsy type. She sort of went with the flow and I really enjoyed that Gypsy-vibe she has. Book Ashley was more serious—she was a college student so she was more settled in her life and slightly boring.
 
I felt the romance and Dash’s character was more fleshed-out in the book, I felt like Ashley’s character and her story was more fleshed-out in the book. I felt like the suspense was stronger in the movie yet the character/relationship development was stronger in the book.
 
Overall, while both had their strengths and weaknesses, I loved both of them. They were such great additions to my Christmas romance collection.



 
 
Have you watched the movie?
 

 
 
 

No comments: