Monday, May 23, 2016

Finding Fraser by KC Dyer



I met Jamie Fraser when I was nineteen years old. He was tall, red-headed, and at our first meeting at least, a virgin. He was, in fact, the perfect man.
     That he was fictional hardly entered into it...

On the cusp of thirty, Emma Sheridan is desperately in need of a change. After a string of failed relationships, she can admit that no man has ever lived up to her idea of perfection: the Scottish fictional star of romantic fantasies the world over—James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser.

Her ideal man might be ripped from the pages of a book, but Emma hopes that by making one life-altering decision she might be able to turn fiction into fact. After selling all her worldly possessions, Emma takes off for Scotland with nothing but her burgeoning travel blog to confide in.

But as she scours the country’s rolling green hills and crumbling castles, Emma discovers that in searching for her own Jamie Fraser, she just might find herself.
 

Publisher: Berkley | Release Date: May 3, 2016 | Genre: Contemporary Romance | Source: Publisher | Rating: 4.5 Cups

Challenges Read For: Pick Your Own Genre: Contemporary  

This is such an awesome book but I think I should probably start with a reader beware warning. This book is not actually about Jamie Fraser or Outlander. It’s about girl obsessed with finding her own Jamie Fraser and the adventure that search takes her on. Knowing that beforehand changed how I approached the book. If I would have went into this book thinking it was Outlander-driven, I would have had a different approach.
 
So, here’s what’s going on: When her latest relationship ends and she gets fired from her job, Emma Sheridan decides to sell off her belongings, grab her well-read copy of Outlander, and hop a plane to Scotland in search of her own Jamie Fraser. Traveling on her own and recording her journey via her travel blog, Emma soon discovers herself while searching for her own Fraser.
 
While I didn’t have a hard time getting into this book, I had a hard time connecting with Emma at the start. At times, she was a bit senseless, too trusting, and rather naïve. It was as though she couldn’t see what was right in front of her and I found myself wanting to shake her and tell her to open her eyes. Thankfully, while searching for a Fraser to call her own, Emma starts to discover who is. As I started to realize who Emma was, I started to understand her and she grew on me.
 
When she first started her journey, she was determined to stick to the map of Claire’s journey in her copy of Outlander yet after a string of mishaps she finally realizes that it’s not possible and it was nice seeing Emma take control and do her own thing. I really enjoyed watching her adventures in Scotland. Of course, there are times that she questioned her search, but she never questioned going to Scotland.
 
I just have to add that, as someone who had chickenpox in her twenties, I completely understood and sympathized with Emma’s ‘Month of Darkness’.  
 
The secondary characters that Emma meets along the way are quirky, lovable, and charming. They added flair and truly brought this book to life.
 
While romance is at the core, Finding Fraser is more women’s fiction. It’s about finding yourself, becoming comfortable in your own skin, and seeing what’s right in front of you. I truly enjoyed watching Emma grow.
 
The pacing of this book was brilliant and I read it in two sittings. I didn’t want to put it down but I had appointments that I had to keep.
 
Overall, I really enjoyed this one. It was witty, comedic, and I enjoyed watching Emma discover herself. You don’t have to be an Outlander fan, or even know who Jamie and Claire are, to enjoy this book. I believe it will appeal to book-lovers, bloggers, those who love Scotland, and anyone who has ever fallen in love with a fictional character.
 
Although fans of Outlander will enjoy catching the hidden references in the book.

Are you an Outlander fan?
What fictional character are you in love with?

No comments: