Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Recipe Box: Cocoa Snickerdoodles



I’ve been playing around with transforming my favorite traditional snickerdoodle recipe into a cocoa snickerdoodle recipe. I’ve tried several recipes for chocolate snickerdoodles that I found online but the cookie just didn’t have that same fluffy texture of my original recipe. So, I decided to take the recipe that I loved and transform it.  

The first few tries were a bit of a nightmare because I decided to melt baking chocolate and make ganache like when making a chocolate cake. The dough ended up too wet and the cookies ended up spreading out onto the entire baking sheet. On my next try, I added more flour, which made the dough too tough. The cookies came out as hard as hockey pucks.  

So, I ended up running out of baking chocolate and, honestly, I was too lazy to run to the store, so I grabbed the cocoa powder—a much wiser choice. So, I ended up swapping out ¾ cup of flour for ¾ cup of cocoa and it worked on the first try.

I hope you enjoy.
Ingredients
 
1 ½ cups sugar                         ½ cup stick butter
½ cup shortening                      2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour            ¾ cup of cocoa powder
2 teaspoons cream of tartar       1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
 
Place in separate bowl and set aside
 
¼ cup sugar                             2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
 
Preheat Oven to 400° F
 
If using a convection oven that doesn’t automatically convert the temperature, preheat to 375° F
 
 
1.     In a medium bowl, sift together 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons cream of tartar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ¼ teaspoon salt. Add ¾ cup of cocoa powder and whisk until incorporated.
2.     In a large bowl, mix 1 ½ cups sugar, ½ cup shortening, 2 large eggs, ½ cup stick butter. Stir in dry ingredients.
3.     Shape dough into 1 ¼ inch balls. Roll balls in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
4.     Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.

 

Do you enjoy playing around with recipes?

What’s your favorite cookie recipe?


No comments: