Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Nail Polish Review: Onyx Rush (Maybelline) & Luxe Lace (Sally Hansen)



Brand Name: Maybelline Color Show Nail Lacquer
Shade Name: Onyx Rush (430)
What it states:
·        Long lasting
·        Chip Free Nail Color
·        Easy-flow brush
Have I used this product before? No
 
Availability: Widely Available
 
Price Range: $2.98-$4.29 (Wal-Mart being the cheapest, CVS being the highest)
 
My thoughts: So, I received this as part of Allure’s fashion panel. I’ve actually never tried Maybelline before so I was eager to give this a go.
 
When I opened the package, the first thing I noticed was the size of the bottle. It’s .23 FL. OZ. (or 7 ml) so it’s a bit smaller than the bottles of polish I normally purchase. The second thing I noticed was the color. I love a good black polish. Black goes with just about anything, so it’s definitely on my Top Ten Polishes to have list.
 
In the bottle, Onyx Rush is a nice deep black. Although to achieve that deep black color on your nails, it requires at least three coats, otherwise it comes off as this charcoal gray color. While this polish does go on smooth and dries super quick, the polish is very thin and runny and tends to drip is you do not wipe the excess off the brush.
 

My problem with this polish was that it wasn’t long lasting or chip free. It started to chip about four hours after applying it. I definitely would recommend using a good top coat over this one.
 
Would I Buy It? Not this particular shade, but I would like to try their Color Show line again to see of the consistency changes or remains thin.

Brand Name: Sally Hansen
Collection: Luxe Lace
Shade Name: Eyelet
What it states:
•Lace fabric--inspired effect
•Wear alone or layer for a unique look
Have I used this product before? No
Availability: Finding this was a bit hit and miss, one store would have it, the another wouldn’t.
Price Range: $4.49-$9.99 (Wal-Mart being the cheapest, Walgreens being the highest, other stores fell in between)
 
My thoughts: Every month, my local Sally Beauty Shop sends out sample boxes and this lovely bottle of Luxe Lace in Eyelet was included. I was intrigued by the fact this was supposed to have a lace fabric effect and eager to give it a go.
 
So, let me start out by saying what this actually is. It’s four sizes of snow-white hexagon glitter in a clear top coat. You can either use it on bare nails (which, I wouldn’t do using the white) or use it over colored polish (I used the black mentioned above).
 

This actually goes on really smooth and I was surprised given the varying sizes of glitter. It also seals in the glitter so it’s not rough. As per the directions on the bottle, I applied two coats, it said 2-3 but I think that would have been a bit much. Honestly, I think 1 coat would probably do me just fine. I did notice that most of the glitter that went on my nails was the mini, small, and medium. There were only two specks of the large, which was fine with me as I feel that the large glitter was a bit too much.
 
I didn’t used a top coat but this definitely has staying power. I had this on for about 9-10 days without the glitter flaking off. One thing I did notice was that instead of chipping, the clear polish started taking on a frosted look.
 
My only problem with this was removal. I tried the standard cotton ball soaked in nail polish remover approach only to end up with bits of cotton stuck to the glitter. The polish underneath came off, but the majority of the glitter stayed on. I ended up having to soak my nails in the remover for about 1-2 minutes to get the glitter off.
 
Overall, I really liked this one. Although it doesn’t really have a lace look, instead it gives off the look of splattered paint, minus the mess.
 
Would I Buy It? Definitely! I’d also like to try the black.
 

Have you tried glitter nail polish?

No comments: