Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Heartache & Sin by Charles Soto review


Hard-driving and provocative, this unconventional love story will have audiences talking for weeks after reading. Charles Soto touches the heart of humanity with this epic tale, tackling the hardships of abortion. Dissecting the tenderest parts of a mother’s being, while destroying a father’s conscience.
Heartache and Sin tackles the very heart and soul of each and every one of us. A must-read page turner that will have readers on the edge of their seat until the final page is turned. A compelling, endearing love story for both women and men, gripping the very foundation of marriage, courage and strength,

with hard-driving emotion as its ploy. This debut will have audiences talking for weeks as love, hate, murder and church collide when a couple finds themselves a painful crossroad, debating to abort or deliver their child of miracles in this wicked tale of how a man of the cloth, who’s power and control is willing to risk the life of a pregnant parishioner.
Steven and Karen Wheaton seem to have it all. A smart, devoted and incredibly loving couple, their only hard grief is that in direct response to Karen’s severe, debilitating diabetes the two are unable to bare children. While Steven shows compassionate resolve, understanding and acceptance, Karen grieves and comes to grips with this fact by joining a church whose clergyman is a staunch, fierce opponent to abortion. In fact, Pastor Ryan McDonald is a man of many atrocities and is willing to do anything, even commit kidnapping and murder, to uphold the tenets of his vicious canons. Though, when Karen and Steven learn she’s pregnant and becomes deathly ill, they struggle with the tragic dilemma of having to choose between life and death for their unborn child. The unmerciful fate that Karen and Steven endure, at the hands of the pastor, boils to an explosive conclusion. Ultimately tragic, this debut is a fascinating social commentary on this complex issue that has no easy answers and an illustration of what evil a man of the cloth will provide a faithful parishioner. Can Steven save his wife and his baby’s life? If he can’t, which will he choose?
(From the author’s website)


My thoughts:

When the author ask if I wanted to review this book I should have researched the book a bit more than I did.

At first let me say that that I DO NOT believe in abortion for any reason. I believe that it is an act of murder no matter the situation.

With that being said here are my thoughts on the book:

The writing itself was edgy, and will have you at the edge of your seat while reading. And the flow of the book was well done. I felt sorry for Karen throughout the novel I did not like Steven, I found him to be selfish and arrogant. I felt that some moments of book were over dramatized. I also noticed that the author chose to from the Pastor as a crazed loon, and I wonder if that was because he wanted readers to feel that those who oppose abortion are crazed and in the wrong. Overall this will not be on my top favorite list. Although I will say that the book cover is stunning.

These are my own true thoughts and beliefs, you are entitled to make you own.


Deuteronomy 30:19: "I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live."





No comments: